Thursday 21 June 2012

Apps on Review: The New Spotify for Android

Well you really never know what you're going to get week by week from me I suppose and this week is no different.

So, I'd like to take a look at an app that has been causing me great pleasure every time I've used it since it's most recent major update. Spotify.
You've probably heard of Spotify and you may well be using their app already but just in case, Spotify is a music streaming service. It comes in 2 flavours, Free and ad-supported or Ad-Free and Paid - only the latter  will get you access to their app.

Spotify was never a bad app but the overhaul to the UI makes it a shining example of good practice on smartphones. Without further ado then, a few screenshots I took in my first use of it:

Ignore the daft picture of my face and focus on what matters, a comprehensively redone much more intuitive UI, it clearly follows some cues from the new Google+ app and of course Path but goes its own way a little too, so the zippy, intuitive in-app UI gets you playing music fast and without having to stay huddled over your phone for an eternity, meanwhile the lock screen widget is - without a moments hesitation - the only successful implementation of lock screen widget I've seen in a non-native app. It manages to be completely unobtrusive but functional and useful.

So that's my little update for this week, if you're a student in the UK don't forget you can get Spotify Premium half price for 12 months right now with an NUS Extra card (that's what I'm doing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment