Tuesday 14 June 2011

E3, Exec & Everything Else

Well it's been a busy cupla weeks - highlighted by my delay in getting that technical post finished, still immensely enjoyable though. Trips Home, Freshers Week and a lot more about Sony's E3 Hardware revelations.



So, I went back home for ma wee summer break last weekend, about as smooth as moving your life 70 miles twice in a weekend can be and I managed to squeeze in visits with the whole family and a friend before heading back. T'was somewhat relaxing even if the netbook and laptop managed to prevent me from fully disconnecting with the day to day.

In other news got some reasonably above average sized plans going on through my Exec role regarding Freshers Week of next year. Having discussed the pro's and con's of Abertay Freshers with a selection of students across multiple years and disciplines, I've taken up one of the most common concerns. Hopefully, in the next few days I'll be able to say a lot more on that front but for the sake of not building up to nothing I'll keep shtum.

And then there was the main event - E3 - I wish I could say I'd been there to experience it but alas my budget doesn't stretch that far and so I'm left to live web streams and journalistic documents but that doesn't mean I can't have highlights right?

I must admit, I'm fairly biased towards Sony anyway but what a show they put on this year, I am incredibly hyped about being poor.

On the hardware front there are these 2 badboys:
Playstation 3D Display
Now, I'm not completely convinced by 3D yet but the Playstation branded display is more than enough to get me on board - It's only 24" sure but I'm not in the market for anything bigger and in America it will RRP at $499.99 as part of a bundle - what that translates to across the pond is yet to be seen of course, however if played right this could bust 3D right open. More than that though, with the display Sony also encorporated a new feature - now I have read about this before but its the first time I've seen it commercially marketed.
If the image isn't enough to explain, the display can adjust it's output so that 2 people wearing 3D glasses get different 2D images.

Incase you're more interested I'm going to break it down this paragraph - feel free to skip it - so 3D as you're probably aware works by giving you 2 images, an image from the perspective of your left eye and one from your right eye. Historically, this has been done a number of ways - the very first of course were those weird Blue and Red glasses - one image was encoded so that the blue lens would filter it out, the other such that the red would each eye got a different image, the 3D cinema experiences you're probably used too work similarly in a way that rather fascinates me, the 2 images are projected using light of different polarity - one positive image, one negative image, the lenses in the glasses are then coated in negative and positive materials - the opposites attract theory applies and you get 2 images again, this results in cheap glasses you can hand out and let people take home - home systems tend to use a more complicated method the lenses will darken when a charge is applied to them and the TV synchronises each lense blacking out with the image its broadcasting - this makes the TV cheaper but the glasses inevitably more expensive. So you've probably already figured out Sony's plan you're glasses will simply block both eyes at the same time so you get either the left or right image, 2 sets of glasses each doing a different image and hey presto - same screen co-op with no peeking and just as much space.

Okay,  tech specs over, this brings me to the other piece of hardware - which you've probably already guessed:-
PS Vita
Yes, yes you guessed it the Sony fanboy went for the Sony handheld but really though, they hammered this onto everyone in their Pre-E3 Conference. You want to see what it can do just look for screenshots of Uncharted: Golden Abyss - this thing really is competing with current gen home consoles which is just insane - of course battery life is my fundamental concern in all of this. Still, there is a brilliant line up of games for it and the back touch panel just makes so much sense, not to mention dual analog sticks are back - and not just nubs. The question that remains however, Sony are releasing a 3G + WiFi version and a WiFi only version it costs about $50 more - again wait and see what happens back across the pond - to take the 3G option although chances are you'll be looking to get it on a contract to make use of your fantastic 3G data. Me? I'll probably just go for WiFi i'm rarely far from a connection and their is always offline play. :)

I was going to get onto the main part - the games but in typical me fashion I overran so that will have to wait for another day and with that I'll say turrah - but I'm curious PS Vita?! Is it a yes or a no for you? Will you being getting WiFi if so? What about a launch title whats the first game you're gonna be booting on your Vita?

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment